(866) 238-9868 OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK

2-5 day FREE & DISCREET SHIPPING on all orders

4.9 stars 4.9 | 4,500+ Verified Buyers

My Story (SOS) please help

I’m not really where to start…I just moved into a place about 3 months ago. I was renting a guest house but ended up moving into the main house here in the last 2 weeks. I’m not really sure if I’m just in a house with a general bug problem or if at this point I’m working against an infestation. This past week I’ve caught 2 in consecutive days then I didn’t see another one for the next 4. Tonight waking up in the middle of the night I’ve caught 4. I’ve got a CO2 trap in place at the foot of my bed in a low traffic area (it doesnt seem to be working well as I’m still finding them in other spots) as well as traps on the feet of my bed. I wanted to post some pictures also in hopes of getting some feedback from some of your experts. Thanks and much Chi

Hi Poindext003,

Thanks for posting your question. Based on what I see in the pictures you are using traps as your treatment for bed bugs (CO2 trap and leg dishes). In regards to the traps on the legs, we suggest using Climbup Insect Interceptors instead of the type that you fabricated at home. They only cost about 4 bucks each and will work much better then the ones you are using.

Unfortunately just using traps would not be an effective treatment as you need to kill every bed bug. Traps may catch a percentage, but will likely never catch every one. We suggest following our 4-step solution, which includes treating cracks and crevices where bed bugs are hiding as well as using mattress and box spring encasements. I believe this along with Climbup Interceptors will take care of the problem. Just be sure to follow all the steps along with 2 follow up treatments. Your fabrication of different items is both clever and somewhat effective, but won’t give you the 100% kill you need to get past your bed bug issue.

Thanks for the quick reply Mark it means a lot. I had a question as far as how much weight they can hold. The box spring I have is also a move able base too and is very heavy. Will the traps be able to compensate for the amount of weight it has? Also there are four wheeled legs on the bottom too. Will the box spring encasement still be able to keep my box spring fully covered? This problem is making me miserable and I cant find anyone to help me or that seems to care. Thanks

Hi Poindext003,

The Climbup Interceptors would be able to hold the weight of your box spring, but the issue I see is with the encasement. If the legs are built into the box spring the encasement will not work (no holes for the legs). In this case, I would treat the box spring with a residual such as JT Eaton Kills Bed Bugs Plus (tufts and folds) and only use an encasement for the mattress. Although not a perfect situation, it will likely work. Before you install a residual to the box spring, i would suggest reading it first with a steamer or a contact killer such as Steri-Fab. Before sure to remove the bottom cover of the box spring so that you can treat the inside. Bed bugs can easily hide inside a hollow box spring.

I also wanted to add that my box spring is actually a moveable base with a motor underneath my mattress. Can i rent a decent steamer from most hardware retail stores? Does the steam have to be a certain temperature? Does it kill eggs? I’ve also yet to see any eggs either and over about 3 weeks or so I’ve seen about 12 so far. I’ve yet to see any on my walls to. Does a fan blowing directly on me affect the amount of co2 they detect? Also, is it more beneficial to open a window for better air flow? Are they good at climbing upside down or does that depend on the surface? Even at this point I cant find the source of my problem. I’m renting a place with roomates that don’t really keep things clean so much. I’m starting to think this is a wasted effort.

Hello Poindext003,

Your last reply has a lot of questions, so I’m going to try to answer them one at a time.

Generally, store-rented steamers are low-pressure carpet cleaners, and aren’t suitable for use against bed bugs. You’ll want a steamer with at least 40 PSI and a tip temperature of at least 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

Anything over 180 degrees will kill bed bugs on contact. To kill bed bugs hiding beyond the reach of the steam nozzle, such as inside cracks, crevices, seams, folds, and wall voids, you’ll need the tip temperature to be even higher to ensure that the steam is still hot enough when it reaches the bug.

Yes. Adequately hot steam will kill bed bugs of all life stages, including eggs.

I’m not aware of any studies or research that discuss this, so I would default to “no”.

Yes. Ventilation is a must when you’re steaming and using insecticide sprays, both for your health and to help treated surfaces dry.

Bed bugs have been known to climb upside down on places like ceilings and under the bed.